Vienna, 1814: How the Conquerors of Napoleon Made Love, War, and Peace at the Congress of Vienna - David King Peculiar mismatch of modern and period interests.

I hate to tell you this, but the fortunes of different peculiarly named German noble houses have turned out to have fuck all historical interest after that little thing we call the 20th century. Unless you're going to include the nasty details, I also do not care who Mitternich was dreaming about shagging on any given day. (I think it was mostly the Tsar. Or maybe thats the author.)

But, yes, let's dedicate chapters and chapters to that and only briefly skim over such curious irrelevant historical asides as the first international statement against slavery and the seed of humanitarian issues in global politics, or one of the Grimm brothers wandering around complaining about book piracy and the beginning of the notion of intellectual property. Those aren't interesting at all to a modern reader, lets talk about someone's hat some more instead!