Dreadnought - Cherie Priest I liked this one better than Boneshaker (which I enjoyed quite a bit,) it feels less YA, and the relative lack of zombies is just lovely. The wider, overlong-civil-war is more interesting and more immersive, and manages to occasionaly hit a real note of grandiose tragedy, as opposed to Seattle of the first book, which was bizarre enough to almost feel cartoonish at times. (To the point that the meeting between the two, at the very end of the book, seems disjointed.)

The racial politics, while not in the foreground, are better than in Boneshaker as well, though both here and in Clementine it's a bit convenient that the heroines specifically don't appear to actually be at all personally, you know, actually racist when theres a need to put aside racist social conventions. Another point is how throughly evil scientists tend to be, like in Boneshaker. I'm not averse to some nice mad scientist in my fiction myself, but theres a tension here (typically steampunk, maybe?) between embrace of technological progress - trains, ships, medicine - and a distinct distrust of any more technological progress.

I don't want to end of a sour note - I enjoyed the book a lot, it's well written, and the main character, while not likely to go down as one of the coolest characters ever, was still well developed and engaging (and a well realized Strong Woman who isn't a super ninja) and her behind-the-lines experiences as a nurse and a widow a different perspective on war than one typically finds. Definitely recommended if you're at all into this sort of thing.